A sport club is a registered student organization at Western Michigan University, formed by individuals motivated by a common interest and desire to participate in a favorite sport activity. Sport clubs vary in focus and programming since student members manage the operation of the club and decide club activities. A sport club may be competitive, recreational, social or any combination of all of these.
Sport clubs provide students with the opportunities to develop:
- Sport and leadership skills.
- Knowledge of organizational networks and risk management.
- Promote personal involvement and pride for Western Michigan University.
All sport clubs should be a part of Sports Club Council. The council is committed to promoting sport clubs at WMU by providing resources and support to help ensure the growth of club teams. To be an active member, clubs must be registered with Student Activities and Leadership Programs, have a constitution on file, participate in fundraisers and attend the bi-monthly council meetings.
Active groups will have the opportunity to enjoy the following benefits:
- Learn from established sport clubs.
- Access to the Club Field (located at the west end of the Intramural Sports Fields), Intramural Sports Fields, Intramural Sports Soccer Fields, Seelye Center and the rec center during selected hours for a reduced rate.
- Special practice times at no charge.
- Access to Sports Club Council funds for facility rentals, team entries to tournaments and association costs.