In recognition of environmental tobacco smoke health risks, the University will provide as close to a smoke free environment as practicable for its faculty, staff, students and visitors. The right of a non-smoker to protect his or her health and comfort will take precedence over another’s desire to smoke.
- Smoking is prohibited in all University facilities including University vehicles except as indicated below.
- In order not to interfere with access or the rights of others, smoking is not permitted within 25 feet of all building entrances, air intakes, and operable windows. There may be some buildings where smoking will not be permitted at certain building entrances and/or the distance from buildings may be further than 25 feet; such information will be posted accordingly.
- Individuals who smoke on University premises will be responsible for the proper disposal of smoking products.
- The sale of tobacco products is prohibited on University premises.
- Smoking is prohibited in all housing facilities with the exception of resident apartments that have not been designated as non-smoking.
- Smoking will be permitted for controlled research, theatrical, educational or religious ceremonial purposes, with prior approval of the dean or director for the facility.
- Departments are encouraged to assist employees with smoking cessation. Assistance is available through the Sindecuse Health Center “Stop Using Tobacco Program.” This program provides for reimbursement of costs if the employee and/or his/her dependents remain smoke free.
The success of this policy depends upon the thoughtfulness, consideration, and cooperation of smokers and non-smokers. All faculty, staff, students and visitors share the responsibility for adhering to and enforcing the policy. Any concern should be brought to the attention of the individuals responsible for the operation of the University facility in question such as the building coordinator, facility manager or department supervisor responsible for the work area.
(Required by state law; approved by president January 1987; amended December 1991, January 2000 and March 2008.)