| WMU News
KALAMAZOO, Mich.—The 2017-18 Western Michigan University's women's tennis schedule includes fall tournaments and the spring Mid-American Conference lineup of matches.
"Each year we pride ourselves with taking on a tough schedule and this year is no different," commented WMU head coach Ryan Tomlinson. "We have teams on our schedule from the Big Ten, ACC, Big 12, Big East, Mountain West and American Athletic conferences and we look forward to getting better as a team throughout the year."
The Broncos kick the season off at the Hoosier Classic Friday, Sept. 29, before heading to the competitive International Tennis Association Midwest Regional Friday, Oct. 13, in Ann Arbor. WMU finishes its fall away schedule the following weekend at the Indiana Alternative Regional beginning Oct. 20. The Broncos conclude the fall season by hosting their only home tournament with the Bronco Super Challenge. WMU will welcome Cleveland State, Colorado State, DePaul, Indiana and Notre Dame starting Friday, Nov. 3.
The spring season begins Saturday, Jan. 13, as Oakland and Valparaiso come to Kalamazoo for a doubleheader. The team will travel to face top programs including Big Ten foes Indiana and Michigan State, 2017 NCAA Tournament team Notre Dame, Marquette and the Big East Conference Champions DePaul. The Broncos take two long trips during non-conference play, traveling to Waco, Texas, where they will face Baylor and New Mexico Saturday and Sunday, Jan. 27-28, and heading south during spring break to face South Florida and Florida Gulf Coast. WMU finishes non-conference play at home welcoming Illinois-Chicago Thursday, March 15, and Bradley Saturday, March 24.
MAC play begins the weekend of March 30 with a pair of home matches against Northern Illinois and Eastern Michigan. The Broncos then hit the road for a difficult four-game road stand against Akron, Buffalo, Ball State and Toledo. Three of those teams finished in the top three of the MAC standings during the 2016-17 season. The Broncos conclude conference play at home hosting Miami Friday, Apr. 20 and Bowling Green Sunday, Apr. 22.
The MAC tournament is set for Friday, Apr. 27, with the top-six teams in the league earning spots to play for the championship. Location and time for the tournament will be determined.
Indoor home matches take place at West Hills Athletic Club, 2001 S. 11th St., in Kalamazoo. Outdoor home matches are at the Sorensen Courts.
- Bronco Super Challenge, Nov. 3-5, times to be announced
- Broncos vs. Oakland—Saturday, Jan. 13, 2018, 11 a.m.
- Broncos vs. Valparaiso—Saturday, Jan. 13, 2018, 5 p.m.
- Broncos vs. IUPUI—Saturday, Feb. 3, 2018, 1 p.m.
- Broncos vs. Hillsdale College—Saturday, Feb. 3, 2018, 6 p.m.
- Broncos vs. UW-Green Bay—Friday, Feb. 16, 2018, 5 p.m.
- Broncos vs. Marquette—Sunday, Feb. 18, 2018, 11 a.m.
- Broncos vs. Illinois-Chicago—Thursday, March 15, 2018, 2 p.m.
- Broncos vs. Bradley—Saturday, March 24, 2018, 1 p.m.
- Broncos vs. Northern Illinois—Friday, March 30, 2018, 1 p.m.
- Broncos vs. Eastern Michigan—Sunday, April 1, 2018, 1 p.m.
- Broncos vs. Miami—Friday, April 20, 2018, 1 p.m.
- Broncos vs. Bowling Green—Sunday, April 22, 2018, 1 p.m.
Learn more about WMU women's tennis at wmubroncos.com.
For more WMU news, arts and events, visit wmich.edu/news.