| WMU News
KALAMAZOO, Mich.—Members of the Western Michigan University community will gather Friday, Oct. 2, for the University's formal annual Academic Convocation that will honor standout faculty and staff members and provide a platform for WMU's president to preview the University's direction for the future.
The event is set for 2 p.m. in the Dalton Center Recital Hall. It will feature President John M. Dunn's annual State of the University address as well as a series of awards honoring faculty and staff achievements and service. The convocation is traditionally held during the opening weeks of fall semester and is designed as a signature event to welcome faculty, staff and students back to campus.
The traditional gathering to honor accomplishment and focus on the new academic year is free and open to the public. A reception, which also doubles as a campuswide gathering for employees called Fridays With Friends, will be held immediately following the convocation in the adjacent Richmond Center for Visual Arts.
Faculty and staff awards
During the convocation, awards will be presented to 10 members of the WMU faculty and staff for their outstanding service and achievement. They will be honored as recipients of major annual awards in five categories:
- Distinguished Service Award, for faculty and staff members who have provided exceptional service to the University and its faculty, students and community.
- Distinguished Teaching Award, for faculty members who are exceptional educators and mentors and have demonstrated outstanding dedication.
- Emerging Faculty Scholars, honoring early-career faculty members who have demonstrated the promise to achieve national and international renown.
- Make a Difference Award, for staff members who reach far beyond their assigned duties to make WMU an even better place to work and study.
- Distinguished Faculty Scholar, which recognizes outstanding academic or artistic achievement within the larger national and international academic communities.
For more news, arts and events, visit wmich.edu/news.
Dr. Chansheng He wins WMU Distinguished Faculty Scholar Award | Sept. 28, 2015
University to honor its top four staffers for 2014-15 | Sept. 28, 2015
WMU medieval Latin historian to be honored as an emerging scholar | Sept. 28, 2015
Two receive WMU’s highest honor for teaching | Sept. 29, 2015
WMU set to honor two for distinguished service | Sept. 30, 2015