| WMU News
KALAMAZOO—The retirements of two faculty members and nine staff members were approved by the Western Michigan University Board of Trustees at its Sept. 20 meeting.
Trustees also signed off on the return of three administrators to the faculty as well as several other personnel changes.
Both of the faculty members who are retiring are doing so with emeritus status. Their names, positions, years of continuous service and effective dates of retirement are:
- Dr. Nicholas A. Andreadis, dean of the Lee Honors College and associate professor of counselor education and counseling psychology, 16 years, effective June 30, 2013
- Dr. John H. Cameron, professor of paper engineering, chemical engineering and imaging, 17 years, effective April 30, 2013
In addition, the retirement date for Dr. Bassam E. Harik, associate professor emeritus of economics, was changed from June 30, 2012, to June 30, 2013.
The staff members who are retiring are:
- Linda D. Baird, finance assistant in development and alumni relations, 21 years, effective Nov. 30, 2012
- Marlene M. Bolf, finance specialist in the WMU Bookstore, 19 years, effective Dec. 31, 2012
- Margaret J. Hamilton, director of academic advising for the College of Fine Arts, 25 years, effective Sept. 24, 2012
- Esther Newlin-Haus, principal research associate in the College of Education and Human Development, 10 years, effective Aug. 31, 2012
- Michael E. Osborn, maintenance roofer, Facilities Management-maintenance services, 12 years, effective Dec. 31, 2012
- Denise A. Richards, manager of conference services, Fetzer Center, 23 years, effective Aug. 31, 2012
- Bethlynn Sanders, office associate in English, 14 years, effective Sept. 30, 2012
- Shirley A. Swift, office associate in the College of Arts and Sciences, 11 years, effective Aug. 31, 2012
- Shirley A. Vernia, credit evaluator in admissions, 30 years, effective Oct. 31, 2012
- Gail A. Walker, office coordinator in educational leadership, research and technology, 10 years, effective Sept. 14, 2012
The administrators returning to the faculty, along with their old and new positions, are: Dr. Haluk M. Aktan, from chair of civil and construction engineering to professor of civil and construction engineering, effective Aug. 20, 2012; Dr. Keith M. Hearit, from vice provost for strategic enrollment management to professor of communication, effective spring 2013; and Dr. R. Paul Vellom, from chair of teaching, learning, and educational studies to associate professor of teaching, learning, and educational studies, effective July 1, 2013.
In other personnel moves, trustees approved the promotion of Mingming Feng to assistant professor of accountancy, effective Aug. 20, 2012; approved a sabbatical leave for Hearit, effective spring 2013; and changed the sabbatical leave date for Dr. Yvonne Unrau, professor of social work, from fall 2012 to fall 2013.