| WMU News
KALAMAZOO—The Western Michigan Unversity women’s basketball team is scheduled to play two home exhibition games, 12 other home games and non-conference contests against programs from 10 different conferences across the nation, including a trip to in-state rival the University of Michigan.
"We are looking forward to the season and to the challenges our schedule will present for us," says first-year head coach Shane Clipfell. "We have a nice cross section of conferences including the Big Ten, America East, Conference USA, A-10, Horizon, Summit and Patriot League. Our non-conference foes include six post-season participants."
Basketball fans can preview this year's team at one of two pre-season exhibition matches at University Arena:
- Friday, Nov. 2, 7 p.m., versus Wayne State
- Wednesday, Nov. 7, 7 p.m., versus Trine
WMU then plays at home on Saturday, Nov. 10, against American in University Arena at 2 p.m.
Thanksgiving weekend Nov. 23-24, the team travels to Flagstaff, Ariz., for the northern Arizona Thanksgiving tournament.
The MAC Tournament begins with first-round games at campus locations March 9, and moves to Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland March 13-16.
"There are a number of high-quality programs on the non-conference schedule," Clipfell said. "We have a very young team, and this schedule will throw us into the fire early and often, but we will embrace those challenges. The Mid-American Conference season will be extremely difficult, as well, and we will use this non-conference schedule to prepare us for those rigors."
The 16-game MAC schedule will have a different look than in years past. For 2012-13, teams will play opponents from their division twice, once at home and once on the road, but cross-divisional games will be mixed throughout.
2012-13 Bronco women's basketball home schedule
All contests take place in University Arena.
- Saturday, Nov. 10, American, 2 p.m.
- Sunday, Nov. 18, Albany, 2 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 8, Chicago State, 2 p.m.
- Wednesday, Dec. 19, Valparaiso, 7 p.m.
- Thursday, Jan. 10, Eastern Michigan, 7 p.m.
- Sunday, Jan. 13, Miami, 2 p.m.
- Saturday, Jan. 19, Akron, 2 p.m.
- Thursday, Jan. 31, Ball State, 7 p.m.
- Sunday, Feb. 10, Bowling Green, 2 p.m.
- Wednesday, Feb. 20, Central Michigan, 7 p.m.
- Thursday, Feb. 28, Toledo, 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 6, Northern Illinois, 7 p.m.
For more information, including the complete home-and-away schedule and to order individual and season tickets, visit wmubroncos.com/wbasketball.
Women's basketball holding walk-on tryouts | Sept. 6, 2012