Medallion invitation criteria
Invitations to the Medallion Scholarship Competition will be sent to students who meet the following criteria:
- 3.7+ GPA on a 4-point scale at end of junior year.
- 26+ ACT composite or 1170+ old SAT/1240+ redesigned SAT composite score (math + critical reading).
- Must be enrolling as a first time, full-time freshman student entering WMU in the fall immediately following the competition.
- Complete admissions application must be received by November 1, 2016 (for students entering fall 2017)
Admission to WMU is determined on an individual basis using a combination of these factors:
- ACT or SAT score
- Grade point average
- Number and types of college preparatory courses
- Trend of grades
A positive trend of grades from freshman year through time of application shows potential for success at the college level. Good academic performance during senior year is the bridge to a successful first year at WMU. Final high school transcripts are required and will be reviewed to confirm admission.
High school recommendations
We recommend high school students take a college preparatory curriculum. The base core includes:
- Four years of English
- Three years of mathematics (through second year of algebra)
- Three years of natural sciences (at least two years of biology, chemistry or physics)
- Three years of social sciences
- Two years of the same foreign language
These subjects will best prepare students for college level work and provide the broadest possible range of academic choices. Students graduating from Michigan high schools are expected to meet the requirements of the Michigan Merit Curriculum.