PURPOSE OF COURSE
The purpose of all of the developmental mathematics courses is to support student success academically and beyond by advancing critical thinking and reasoning skills. Specifically in pre-algebra, as a team, we will examine final answers in terms of reasonableness to the given problem and to determine if the answer addresses the original problem (Polya step 4). In addition, we will explore the power of estimation as a tool to determine accuracy of solutions to numeric and or real world problems. We will also create and critique explanations while determining what tools and strategies are needed to complete an argument.
- Course syllabus
- Multiplication table
- Tips for success
- WMU Writing Center
EXAM DATES FOR Fall 2018 BY EXAM NUMBER
- Thursday, Sept. 13; 25 minutes
- Thursday, Sept. 27; 25 minutes
- Tuesday, Oct. 9; 50 minutes
- Friday, Nov. 2; 25 minutes
- Thursday, Nov. 29; 50 minutes
If you are unable to attend class on any exam day you must notify Mrs. Lutz before the exam or a make-up may be denied.
Do not plan to leave for Thanksgiving break until after class on Wednesday, November 21.
TENTATIVE SCHEDULE BY WEEK NUMBER
- Problem solving worksheet (Polya method), whole numbers and E-Learning Demo
- Whole number properties and meanings of operators
- meaning of exponents (including fractional exponents), order of operations, variable sense, combining like terms, Exam 1, and rate problems
- Area verses perimeter, evaluate verses solve, using variables for problem solving (Polya method) and fraction meaning
- Equivalent fractions, comparing fractions, ratios and proportions, adding fractions, Exam 2, multiplying fractions
- Multiplying and dividing fractions, revisit number properties and variable sense with fractions, comparing fraction additions and multiplications, and signed number meaning
- Comparing signed numbers, adding signed numbers, Exam 3, and subtracting signed numbers
- multiplying and dividing signed numbers, and fall break
- Revisit number properties and variable sense with signed numbers, partial products and multiplying polynomials
- Percent change, equivalent expressions, Exam 4
- Equivalent expressions, and functions
- Linear verses exponential functions and models
- Solving graphically and Thanksgiving break
- Solving graphically and symbolically, Exam 5
- linear regression and lines
- Final Exam
Monday, October 29 is the last day a student can process an official withdrawal from a class to avoid a failing grade.