STP Application

STP Application

Summer Translation Program


No longer accepting applications for the 2013 program.

How do I apply for the STP? 

    1. Fill out the STP application and send it to WMU with a letter of recommendation and a $50 non-refundable application fee by April 1, 2013.  If you apply by January 15, 2013, WMU will pay your application fee!
    2. After the deadline, the directors of the program will contact you to let you know about your acceptance and with more information. 
    3. If you are accepted into the STP and have not been previously enrolled at WMU, you will need to complete additional paperwork in order to become a WMU student.  For undergraduate students currently at other colleges seeking guest student status at WMU, use the guest application. If you have already earned a bachelor's degree, please use the Graduate non-degree application.
    4. International students who are accepted into the STP and who need support for a visa to study in the United States, will need to go through the US Consulate procedures in their country  to apply for a U.S. visa.

Can I take only one class, for instance, only the translation practicum but not the course in business and translation? 
No, the two courses have been designed as a set.  In the translation practicum, students focus on specific linguistic issues with their own language; whereas in the course on the business and theory of translation, students talk about the overarching issues of translation as a whole.  The courses are designed to be mutually reinforcing.  The theory course gives students a number of issues to think about when doing practical translation, and the practicum gives students practice in putting theoretical ideas to work. 

Can I transfer these credits to my home institution?
WMU is a fully accredited research institution, so students should be able to transfer the credits from the two courses to their home institution.  Please check with the Registrar’s office of your home institution for details on how the credits would appear on the transcript of your home institution.

Which category applies to me: Undergraduate or Graduate? 
If you have not earned a Bachelor’s Degree by the date that the STP starts, you will be considered an “undergraduate” student.  If you have earned a Bachelor’s Degree by the date that the STP starts, you will be considered a “graduate” student. 

What books are necessary for the courses?
Beginning in mid-spring semester, the books required for the classes will be listed on the WMU online system. Go to the following link, Course Offerings, choose the term "Summer II", and go to two spots: "the language of your choice" (e.g., Arabic, and then Arabic 5030, Arabic-English Translation Practicum); and then "World Languages and Literatures", to Language 5800, the Theory and Business of Translation. Clicking on the course titles will lead you to the list of required books.

Are the STP courses available online?
Not at this time.  The directors feel that it is best to learn about translation through direct, face-to-face discussions and practical workshops that involve all of the students.  Face-to-face classes also allow students to practice their spoken language abilities.

What will housing be like for the program?
There are a number of different possibilities for housing, and they are listed under the housing tab. You will be responsible for securing your own place to live. While the directors and staff of the Summer Translation Program are happy to provide advice and suggestions, they cannot arrange housing for you.

Please visit our housing page for futher information.

Does this program lead to professional certification?
The program provides a certificate for successful completion of the STP courses.  If you are interested in gaining professional certification as a translator, we recommend that you consult the American Translators Association.  The ATA has a system of tests that lead to professional certification, thus allowing translators and interpreters to vouch for their skills to potential clients.

What is the policy regarding late enrollments? 
If there is space within the courses by the time the course starts, and the directors of the Summer Translation Program make special approval for a last minute request to join to the course, a $100 late fee will be assessed per course (in other words, $100 for each of the two courses) if at least one course has not been registered prior to the end of the drop/add period.

What is the policy regarding dropping and withdrawal? 
During the first few days of the Program, students may drop the courses for 100% refund of the tuition and the record of the class will not show on their transcript. Students must notify the Program director in order to drop, instead of withdrawing from the courses on their own. The non-refundable application fee to the STP will not, however, be returned since it is used to pay for the administration of the course. 
After the first few days of the Program, students may no longer drop a course.  They will have to “withdraw” to officially stop taking a course.  A “withdraw” means the student can stop coming to courses for the rest of the term. A “W” will appear on the transcript for each course withdrawn.  A “W” does not affect grade point average.  Students must contact the Program director in order to withdraw. For more details about dropping and withdrawal dates, please contact Molly Lynde-Recchia at or 269-387-6243.
  International students on F-1 and J-1 visas must consult with a WMU International Admissions and Services immigration advisor in advance in order to obtain authorization for early withdrawal from the program.  If an international student withdraws from the class, it will likely affect their ability to stay in the country.


Department of World Languages and Literatures
412 Sprau Tower
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5338 USA
(269) 387-3001 | (269) 387-6333 Fax