CTO Updates August 2016

Welcome to the 2016-2017 school year! The return of students and faculty always brings a lot of enthusiasm and energy to campus. And speaking of energy, Office of Information Technology staff have been working very hard this summer to make sure that all your campus technology experiences will be exceptional this school year. If there is anything I can do to help improve your technology experience, please don't hesitate to contact me at tom.wolf@wmich.edu or (269) 387-3838. Go WMU! Go Broncos!

Summer recap: If you haven't been on campus since April, I would like to encourage you to check out the last four monthly CTO Updates as there have been a lot of exciting technology related changes this summer! For example: 

  • Approximately 50 classrooms received technology upgrades this summer, thus completing an eight year project to convert all of WMU's registrar scheduled general purpose classrooms (over 200 of them) from analog technology (VHS) to digital (Blu-ray). This fall there are ten classrooms on campus that will be testing a new wireless connectivity solution to determine if the solution can be deployed campus-wide! If you happen to be in one of these classrooms, please provide your instructor with feedback. Thanks!
  • This summer digital badges were fully integrated into WMU's Elearning environment. 
  • A brand new lecture capture solution called My Mediasite was installed this summer. It will eventually replace the Techsmith Relay product.
  • The campus move to W-Exchange, the new Microsoft Office 365 email system, is 97% complete. The remaining 3% of accounts (approximately 1800) will be migrated during October.
  • Maker Space in the UCC LabThe Bernhard Center computer lab saw a major remodel this summer and is very very close to opening up its new "Technology Collaboration" space. Please let us know what you think of the newly designed BCC lab. And, if you get a chance please stop by the University Computing Center's computing lab on the second floor and poke your head into the new student-run interdisciplinary maker space!

Can I share music and movies? Western Michigan University values the exchange of ideas and respects the intellectual work and property of others. Consistent with these values, WMU does not tolerate or condone plagiarism or copyright violations.

All WMU students, faculty, staff and any other users of WMU computing systems and networks are required to abide by the copyright laws of the United States and the computing and network policies of Western Michigan University. It is almost always illegal to use file sharing software, or other means, to download copyrighted music, movies and videos, without the express permission of the owners of those. Copying and distributing copyrighted software is also illegal unless permission has been granted by the copyright owner.

Users of WMU's computing systems and networks have individual responsibility for their use of those resources and may have civil and/or criminal charges brought against them for copyright issues.

WMU complies with the Digital Millennium Copy Act (DMCA) and cooperates with copyright owners and their agents who file complaints alleging copyright infringement. Student infringers are referred to the University's Office of Student Conduct and faculty and staff infringers are referred to their department and/or supervisors for disciplinary action. Network access privileges may be revoked for habitual infringers.

WMU has an interest in protecting legitimate uses of file-sharing and copyrighted materials, as well as protecting the security of our networks. We appreciate your attention to appropriate use of our computing resources. More information regarding file sharing and copyright.

Bronco Bash: If you get a chance, please stop by our Technology Help Desk booth at this year's Bronco Bash and pick up a cool cell phone wallet (with stand), or register for our raffle. Once again, let me welcome everyone back to campus. Let's all work together to make 2016-2017 the best school year ever!