History majors and minors at Western Michigan University are well positioned for the 21st century job market. As a historian-in-training, you will learn to ask questions that matter. You will become a proﬁcient communicator and researcher. You will develop skills to gather information independently, think and respond critically, and make thoughtful and accurate judgments all while developing a broad historical knowledge. As a prospective teacher educator, you will also develop as a creative problem solver able to overcome obstacles, master any responsibility and lead with conﬁdence.
The Department of History can help you achieve your professional goals.
Find out what our undergraduate alumni think of their history education.
Our graduate alumni can give you a taste of career paths after your M.A. or Ph.D. degree in history.
News and events
- October 12 - H. Nicholas Hamner speaker Nicolette Hahn Niman and Alumni/Emeriti Reception
- Dr. Xiong Receives Distinguished Faculty Scholar Award
- Linda Borish Interviewed about Battle of the Sexes
- September 20 - Burnham Macmillan Guest Speaker, Dr. Paul Freedman (Yale University), free and open to the public
- Dr. Kachun publishes new book on Crispus Attucks
- Dr. Borish's new edition of textbook published
- Past news from the Department of History