Western Michigan University's multidisciplinary health informatics and information management program is designed to provide balanced education in the health sciences, health care informatics, information technology and management. The program prepares students to manage the acquisition, storage and retrieval of health information. Health informatics and information management majors are specialists in managing electronic medical records, design health information systems and lead value added activities for health administration.
The health informatics and information management program was developed to meet the rising demand for health care information management professionals. Health informatics and information management professionals are employed in positions such as:
- Clinical applications specialists
- Clinical informatics analyst
- Health information technology implementation specialist
- Health information technology project manager
- Health information technology specialist
- Health information technology systems trainer