Sindecuse Health Center promotes choice and individualization of insurance purchases for Western Michigan University students. If you have questions about purchasing or using insurance, please call the health center at (269) 387-4219.
Using insurance at Sindecuse Health Center
Patients may choose to use health insurance to pay for services at the health center or pay out-of-pocket at time of service. Out-of-pocket charges (including copays) may be paid for in cash, MasterCard, Visa or Discover card. All students should carry a copy of their insurance card, both front and back.
Students or their families who are not Michigan residents should notify their insurance company that the student will be attending WMU and ask if the student has coverage at an out-of-state physician's office. Sindecuse Health Center is not classified as an urgent care center.
- Some plans are part of a national network, while others limit coverage to the home state only.
- Check your policy for in- and out-of-network coverage details and restrictions.
- Medicaid plans are active within the home state only—coverage does not extend across state lines.
- Some international insurances require students to pay up front for medical treatment and submit a request for reimbursement. We will give you a detailed receipt to assist with your claim.
- Check your insurance card for “HMO”—Blue Care Network is one example.
- Your HMO may require a referral from the student’s primary care provider to be treated at Sindecuse or other local providers. This requirement may include labs or x-rays, physical therapy, or other clinicians.
- HMO coverage may be limited to in network providers; check your policy details.
- You may pay a higher deductible or coinsurance for out of network providers if covered.
Before you come to WMU
Take time to understand your benefits:
- Know what is covered, both in- and out-of-network
- Let your primary care provider know you will be away from home
- Find out how to get a referral if required
- Ask if your plan offers “Away from Home” coverage for college students