Short-term loans are available on a limited basis for books at the beginning of each term, or for emergency situations throughout the term—considered on an individual basis. To apply for a short-term loan, please see a student services representative at Bronco Express.
- Registered for classes for the term.
- Not a WMU employee.
- No past due charges on billing account.
- WMU account is not and has never been in collection.
- No outstanding "non-sufficient funds" checks.
- No history of three or more NSF checks.
- Not in default on a federal loan.
- No monetary registration hold.
- The loan must be for books or emergency related educational expenses.
- If "current balance due" is not zero, financial aid for the current term is pending and the student meets the criteria listed below:
- Financial aid pending for current term must be sufficient to cover current balance due.
- All requested financial aid documents have been submitted.
- If receiving a Federal Direct Student loan, a signed Master Promissory Note and entrance counseling is needed.
- If receiving a Federal Perkins loan, a signed Master Promissory Note is needed.
- If receiving a Federal Direct Parent loan, a signed Master Promissory Note is needed, approved credit check and authorization by the parent that the short-term loan may be paid by the PLUS loan.
- Meet the enrollment requirements for programs awarded.
- Meet the satisfactory academic progress requirements for financial aid purposes.
Books and educational emergencies
- You may receive up to $500 or the cost of books—whichever is less—if the:
- Student has not received a recent refund and
- Pending aid is enough to cover balances owed as well as book loan amount.
- You may receive up to $500 if the:
- Account balance is paid in full, or
- Current term's financial aid is pending and it is sufficient to cover balance owed.
- Individual circumstances considered if you still owe a balance for current term.
- Need documentation of bills owed (e.g., eviction notice, shut-off notice, etc.).
- Funds requested are for education-related expenses (e.g., rent eviction notice, medical, utilities shut-off notice, transportation repairs, food or child care).
- Loans are not approved for credit card bills, long distance telephone charges or cable television.
- Checks are issued to the vendor and the student; available in 24 hours at Bronco Express.
- For extenuating circumstances only. Not intended for repeated use.
- Loans are generally due in 30 days but no later than the last day of your enrollment for the academic year.
- If not paid by the due date, you will incur a service charge at 1.5% a month on the unpaid balance.
- Delinquency in the repayment of a short-term loan will prevent future registration or release of transcripts.