Need something to cheer about? We've got it!

Financial aid is the best way to pay for your college education.

Apply for 2014-15 as soon as possible. Go to link off site

Apply for financial aid first and get yours!

It's not that complicated.... really!


If you want financial aid, start the process each year by filing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid online (FAFSA). You can apply starting January 1 for the upcoming academic year. Most students qualify for some type of financial aid – be sure to get your FAFSA in so you don’t get left out!

Apply for a FSA ID

If you haven't already, you need to apply online for a FSA ID. Your FSA ID serves as your electronic signature. Your FSA ID will be available at the time of application so you can use it immediately to electronically sign your FAFSA. You will use your FSA ID to sign other financial aid documents, check the status of your FAFSA, make corrections and check your loan history.

What you need for the FAFSA

  • Your name and social security number exactly as it appears on your social security number card.
  • WMU’s federal school code – 002330. List "Western Michigan University, West Michigan Avenue, Kalamazoo MI" as one of your college choices.
  • Federal tax return from the previous year.

FAFSA filers can now complete their tax information automatically using the IRS Data Retrieval option. It takes approximately 1-2 weeks for the IRS to make the data available if you filed an electronic return (6-8 weeks if you mailed a paper return). When prompted, follow the links to retrieve your tax information from the IRS and transfer it to your FAFSA -- this makes filling out your FAFSA easier and eliminates time-consuming errors. Get all the data retrieval and tax transcript details online.

How the FAFSA works

The FAFSA gathers information about your income, assets, and other related information to determine your expected family contribution (EFC). Once you’ve filed, you can check the status of your application with the federal processor online or by calling the US Department of Education Student Aid Information Center, 1-800-433-3243 (TTY users call 1-800-730-8913).

The federal processor creates your Student Aid Report (SAR), based on the information you provided, and sends it to the schools you listed on the FAFSA. Once WMU receives your SAR, we take the estimated cost of attendance minus your EFC. This determines your unmet need. We then apply the financial aid programs you qualify for toward your need.

FAFSA corrections

Sometimes, you may need to make corrections to your FAFSA after it has been turned in. Do this online at FAFSA on the Web link off site. You will need to use your FSA ID.

If you, WMU, another school, or the Department of Education submits FAFSA corrections after you have been awarded financial aid, your awards may be adjusted or canceled. In addition to submitting corrections based upon verification, WMU may also submit corrections if:

  1. You indicated you have a prior degree in error
  2. You indicated you will be a graduate student in error
  3. You indicated you are married and the date you became married is after your original FAFSA date
  4. You do not meet the definition of an independent student

WMU may also request additional documentation from you to verify the information you supplied on the FAFSA.

05/26/2015 10:43 AM

Visit related WMU sites

There is a lot more to see! Visit some of our friends at WMU to learn about academics, campus life and how you can be successful.

Student Financial Aid
1903 W Michigan Ave
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5337 USA
269 387-6000