Labor Relations is in charge of handling terms of employment with Facilities Management employees. Western Michigan University is committed to being an excellent workplace, and the Labor Relations unit within Facilities Management works for fair employment contracts and smooth employee-employer relations. The University currently has an agreement with the local chapter of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees’ (AFSCME) union in place and the Michigan State Employees Association (MSEA), for the employees at the Beam Power Plant.
Labor Relations is responsible for:
- Collectively negotiating terms of employment.
- Interpreting the collective bargaining agreements and providing sound advice to facilities employees.
- Administering grievances and being present at grievance meetings, if necessary.
- Facilitating meetings between union employees and employers.
- Supporting the WMU Human Resources' Director of Labor Relations.