Western Michigan University
1903 W Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5331 USA
- Ph.D., University of Maryland, 2012
- Rhetoric of science and science communication
- Visual rhetoric
- Writing for social media
- Methods of teaching college writing
- The rhetoric of science and science communication
- Science and Technology Studies
- Science writing pedagogy and Visual rhetoric
Dr. Maria E. Gigante is an associate professor in the rhetoric and writing studies program in the Department of English at Western Michigan University.
Her research concerns both current and historical cases of visual communication between scientific communities and non-expert public audiences. Her work on this subject is published in Rhetoric Review and the Journal of Technical Writing and Communication. Gigante is interested in pursuing the practical applications of her research as well as collaborative projects between STEM fields and the humanities. Her work on science writing pedagogy appears in The Bulletin of Science, Technology & Society as well as in Teaching/Writing: The Journal of Teacher Education. She has developed and taught courses in visual rhetoric, writing in the sciences, and writing for social media.