Join Handshake to search for opportunities. Follow these directions or call us at (269) 387-2745.
Assess where you are and where you want to be
Should I hire a career coach?
Career coaches can be helpful when you want to move to a new employer, change industries or career path, or evaluate your marketability.
- Questions to consider before hiring a career coach
- National Career Development Association
- The Career Experts Directory of Career Professionals
How do I work with an executive search firm?
Executive search firms expect you to be a highly skilled, solid professional who is able to communicate in writing and in person.
What about working for yourself?
- WMU Entrepreneurial resources
- Michigan Small Business Development Center located in the WMU Haworth College of Business
- What to know to be your own boss
- Things to know before you start your own business
Maintain and build your professional network
- WMU Alumni LinkedIn Group
- How to build a professional network
- The underestimated importance of professional networking
- Finding a professional mentor
Stay relevant in your field
Do I need to go back to school?
Sharpen your skills where you are
Investigate the opportunities for professional development. Your community, library, and local community colleges or universities also offer some free evening lectures, classes, speakers, and seminars.
Regularly update your job search materials and practice interviewing
One size fits all doesn’t work in the job market. Your application materials, interview content and even your reference list should be customized to match with the job you are applying for and the company or organization offering the job.
- Learn and practice the STAR behavioral interviewing method with Big Interview.
- To access the Big Interview alumni site, call 269-387-2745 and request the access code.
What should a resume look like in the current job market?
- Review the WMU's Career Development Guide to get ready for your job search.
- View the resume template to make sure that your resume contains essential information.
What resources can help with a long distance job search?
Salary and benefit considerations