Digital badges represent student learning that occurs outside traditional formats. Displayed in a digital format, badges at WMU are verified by faculty who assess the student's proficiency in particular areas. Each badge contains metadata that explains the criteria for earning the badge, examples of work and the evaluation process, all of which provides evidence for each accomplishment.
At WMU's Haworth College of Business, we recognize that business students learn through a variety of channels and are offering digital badges for students to share with employers and via LinkedIn to demonstrate skills outside the classroom and workplace.
More than an image: Digital badges represent student learning that occurs outside traditional formats. Displayed in a digital format, each badge contains metadata “baked” into it that explains the criteria for earning the badge, examples of work and the evaluation process, all of which provides evidence for each accomplishment.
Badge information is accessible with a single click from your LinkedIn profile (or anywhere!) that explains the requirements for earning the badge. This is particularly useful for sharing with your networks or potential employers. Digital badges are associated with your email address and no one else can display your badge.
Sharing badges is fun and useful—share them socially or post them on your LinkedIn profile so network connections learn more about you.
The college of business offers the following badges:
Available badges include
- Business Extern: Awarded via the Business Externship Program only.
- RSO President: Requires faculty advisor approval and student evidence.
- RSO Leader: Requires faculty advisor approval and student evidence.
- Professional Communication: Awarded to students who successfully pass the Professional Communication Skills modules available in Elearning.
- Leadership: Awarded through SPuRS or by providing evidence of personal and professional growth in this area.
- Professionalism and Work Ethic: Awarded through SPuRS or by providing evidence of personal and professional growth in this area.
- SPuRS Foundational Badge: Awarded to students after completing the SPuRS foundational level requirements.
- SPuRS Advanced Badge: Awarded to students after completing the SPuRS advanced level requirements.
Students may also provide evidence or work with a faculty member to earn badges related to the following area:
- Career Management
- Critical Thinking
- Digital Technology
- Global and Intercultural Fluency
- Professionalism and Work Ethic
Students will receive instructions at their wmich.edu email address for retrieving each earned badge. Occasionally, these badges will require “evidence” from the student—a reflection, video, photos or portfolio that shows employers what the student experienced. This is an opportunity for students to share insights into personal and professional development not readily available on a transcript or resume.
WMU business students are encouraged to share their badges on LinkedIn. This can be completed from either Credly or from your Mozilla Backpack.
You can also display badges on personal websites, share a link via email or announce your earning on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or other social networks.
If you need help with displaying your badge, contact Cindy Wagner at firstname.lastname@example.org | (269) 387-5928.