Western Michigan University's Autism Services Center saw the need for a program that helps high school students with autism spectrum disorder build the social, communication, and independent living skills they need to make a successful transition to higher education.
Planning is underway for the 2018 Summer Transition Program! As of April 26, 2018, 11 of the 20 spots for the 2018 Summer Transition Program have been claimed.
Summer Transition Program components
- Enroll in a 3-credit WMU course of student's choosing.
- Work in paid on-campus employment for 10 hours a week.
- Participate in instruction focused on pre-employment, social, study, academic, and transition skills.
- Live in a residence hall for 7.5 weeks.
- Meet weekly with a peer mentor.
- Engage in a variety of social opportunities, such as going to the Student Recreation Center, game nights, and movie nights.
Information for potential ASC Summer Transition Program students
- Participants are recruited from high school students and recent high school graduates with open cases with Michigan Rehabilitation Services.
- ASC Summer Transition Program is designed for teens and young adults with autism spectrum disorder who are planning to attend a college or university after high school.
- The 2018 program runs from June 27 to August 17, 2018 with a family orientation June 21 or June 22.
- Students may go home on the weekends, just as if they were first-year students at WMU.
- For more information about the ASC Summer Transition Program complete the Contact Us form.
Newsletters from the 2016 ASC Summer Transition Program
Six students participated in the pilot Summer Transition Program held during the summer II 2016 session. Read more about their experiences in the newsletters below.
We are excited to announce opportunities to help support and sponsor this year's Summer Transition Program. For more information regarding sponsoring, please see our flyer or complete the Contact Us form.
ASC wishes to express its gratitude to those companies, organizations, and private donors who have sponsored the Summer Transition Program in the past.
2017 Summer Transition Program
- Great Lakes Center for Autism Treatment and Research
- Novel Response, Inc
- Creating Brighter Futures
- Veale Family
- Bakalyar Family
- Boner Family
2016 Summer Transition Program
- Platinum Sponsor - Great Lakes Center for Autism Treatment and Research
- Silver Sponsor - Novel Responses, Inc.
WMU gratefully acknowledges the funding and support provided by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services to make the supports provided by the ASC possible.