Board announces parameters for presidential evaluation
July 25, 2011 | WMU News
WMU President John M. Dunn
KALAMAZOO--Acting at its July 22 meeting, the Western Michigan University Board of Trustees approved a set of goals and criteria to use in its evaluation later this year of WMU President John M. Dunn.
A panel of three members of the board developed the criteria after being charged with that role earlier this year. The panel included Trustees Dana Debel, Ken Miller and Larry Tolbert. They brought their recommendation to the board, and the board adopted it by unanimous vote.
There are eight goals identified for use in the evaluation:
- Have a sustainable program for board development, goal setting and evaluation.
- Develop a strategic plan for the University.
- Create a campus environment that is inclusive and embraces diversity.
- Recruit students who maintain WMU's high academic standards, grow the student body at a sustainable rate and improve retention of students from entry through graduation.
- Develop and maintain a long-term financial plan.
- Increase alumni involvement and engagement.
- Strengthen the image of the University with both internal and external audiences.
- Provide WMU with winning athletic teams and student athletes who excel on and off the field and who earn their degrees.
"It's a living document that we will add to as suggestions come forward," said board Chair Dennis Archer, in inviting the campus community to look at the eight items that make up the criteria.
WMU President John M. Dunn is now in his fourth year as president. His 2011 evaluation will mark the fourth time the board has assessed his presidency since he took office July 1, 2007.