Trustees approve nine retirements at April meeting
April 15, 2011 | WMU News
KALAMAZOO--The retirements of five faculty members and four staff members were approved by the Western Michigan University Board of Trustees at its April 8 meeting.
Trustees also signed off on one sabbatical leave and accepted the resignation of one faculty member.
Retiring faculty members
All of the faculty members who are retiring are doing so with emeritus status. Their names, positions, years of continuous service and effective dates of retirement are:
- Dr. Ellen H. Brinkley, professor of English, 25 years, effective Dec. 31.
- Dr. David P. Cowan, professor of biological sciences, 32 years, effective Dec. 31.
- Dr. Bruce M. Haight, professor of history (change in retirement date only), 41 years, effective Dec. 31.
- Dr. Bassam E. Harik, associate professor of economics and vice provost for budget and personnel, 33 years, effective June 30, 2012.
- Dr. Karen Wicklund, associate professor of music, 14 years, effective Dec. 30.
Retiring staff members
- Daniel-Muslim Y. Abdullah, painter in Facilities Management-maintenance services, 22 years, effective June 30.
- Jerry W. Fulbright, cement finisher in Facilities Management-landscape services, 33 years, effective March 31.
- Cynthia K. Halderson, senior research assistant in the Mallinson Institute for Science Education, 17 years, effective June 26.
- W. Wilson "Bill" Woods, associate dean of the Haenicke Institute for Global Education, 25 years, effective June 30.
The faculty member granted a sabbatical leave is Kuriakose K. Athappilly, professor of business information systems, effective fall 2011.
The faculty member resigning is Dr. Jerrold J. Jackson, faculty special I-clinical specialist in speech pathology and audiology, effective June 30.