Home > WMU News
Graduate students receive research awards
April 26, 2010
KALAMAZOO--Fifteen awards were granted to 16 graduate students for their scholarly endeavors during Western Michigan University's Fourth Annual Research and Creative Activities Poster Day April 9.
Approximately 200 faculty, staff, and students attended the event at the Fetzer Center, which featured posters and displays by faculty and graduate students from across the University.
Listed below are the 2010 award winners, their areas of study, project titles and faculty mentors.
- Fadi Abu-Amara, electrical and computer engineering, "Detection of Embedded Defects in Bride Decks via Fractal Analysis," faculty mentor Dr. Ikhlas Abdel-Qade.
- Dania AlSaid, paper engineering, chemical engineering and imaging, "Printability of Transparent Electrodes for Organic Photovaltaics," faculty mentor Dr. Margaret Joyce.
- Krystal Bresnahan, communication, "The Grand Tour of Europe Experience: Promoting Study Abroad Programs with Mediated Word of Mouth Communication," faculty mentor Dr. Joseph Kayany.
- Kristy Deiters, speech pathology and audiology, "Daily Sound Exposure among College-Level Musicians," faculty mentor D. Gregory Flamme.
- Alden Edson, mathematics, "A Comparison of National and State Standards Documents for Discrete Mathematics," faculty mentor Dr. Steven Ziebarth.
- Abdou El Magd, geosciences, "Towards a Better Understanding of the Paleoclimatic Regimes over the African Saharan Desert," faculty mentor Dr. Alan Kehew.
- Doreen Harrison, public affairs and administration, "Grant Writing Success=$61,608 for S.A.F.E. Place," faculty mentor Dr. Melisa Beeson.
- Derrick Hilton, biological sciences, "The Effect of Extracellular Alpha-Synuclein on Rat CE Olligodendrocytes," faculty mentor Dr. Charles Ide.
- Michelle Magalski, speech pathology and audiology, "A Sentence Combining Task: Scoring Methods for Differentiating Abilities," faculty mentor Dr. Nickola Nelson.
- Shawn McCloskey, geosciences, "Reef Geometry and 3-D Reservoir Characterization, Dundee Formation, Michigan Basin," faculty mentor Dr. Michael Grammer.
- John Panos, psychology, "Preclinical Abuse Liability Screening of the Ethoxymethyl ether Derivative of Salvinorin B (EOM-SB) in Comparison to Morphine," faculty mentor Dr. Lisa Baker.
- Kelly Robertson and Diane Rogers, Evaluation Center, "Construct Validity of Race and its Impact on Research and Evaluation," faculty mentor Dr. Chris Coryn.
- Julie Ryan, biological sciences, "Evaluating Microsporidian Parasite Infection of the Mottled Sculpin (cottus bairdi) in Southwest Michigan Trout Streams," faculty mentor Dr. Steven Kohler.
- Chiyen Wong, biological sciences, "The Role of UNC-82 in the Pharynx of Ceanorhabditis Elegans," faculty mentor Dr. Pamela Hoppe.
- Tessa Ziebarth, Spanish, "Baroque Artistic Techniques in La Muerte de Artemio Cruz," faculty mentor Dr. Irma Lopez.
The Research Policies Council of the Faculty Senate along with the Office of the Vice President for Research and the Graduate Student Advisory Committee, Graduate Studies Council, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Education and Human Development, College of Engineering and Applied Sciences and College of Health and Human Services sponsored the day's events.
Media contact: Deanne Puca, (269) 387-8400, email@example.com
Office of University Relations
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5433 USA