Home > WMU News
Energy saving encouraged during holiday recess
Dec. 15, 2008
KALAMAZOO--Holiday recess at Western Michigan University began with the end of fall semester Dec. 13, and the annual holiday closure begins at noon Wednesday, Dec. 24. WMU offices reopen and classes begin Monday, Jan. 5.
WMU faculty and staff are encouraged to practice energy conservation by following several tips before leaving campus for the holidays. These same tips can help reduce energy costs in your home.
Before you leave for the holidays
- Turn off and unplug all appliances, including microwaves, clocks, coffee makers, televisions and radios. Even when turned off, many appliances use small amounts of electricity.
- Refrigerators used for food storage should be emptied, cleaned and unplugged. Block the door open slightly to allow air circulation and avoid mildew.
- Turn off and unplug equipment, such as copiers, fax machines, printers, scanners, and battery and cell phone chargers. Most equipment and chargers draw electricity even when turned off.
- Turn off (shut down) desktop computers and unplug them only after checking instruction manuals to see if unplugging for extended periods may result in loss of preferences or other settings. When in doubt, shut down computers, but leave them plugged in.
- Turn off (shut down) laptop computers. If you have a University-owned laptop that you are authorized to take with you, take it home for the holidays and exercise standard care.
- Turn off all lights before leaving for the holidays, and as a regular practice in all rooms and areas not in use.
To reduce energy costs during holiday recess and closure, temperature settings in most campus buildings will be reduced to no lower than 55 degrees. Residence halls that are vacant will be set back starting Dec. 13. Classrooms will be set back beginning Dec. 14. Office spaces will be set back starting Dec. 25. All residence halls will be back to normal temperature by Jan. 2. All other areas will be back to the normal temperature setting of 70 degrees by Jan. 5, when the University reopens.
Few campus services open during holiday recess
Media contact: Thom Myers, (269) 387-8400, email@example.com
Office of University Relations
Western Michigan University
1903 W Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5433 USA