Microsoft Teams is a chat based workspace in W-Exchange. Teams gives groups a dedicated place to chat, hold on-line meetings and store shared files.
Teams enables people to easily share and collaborate using the features listed below.
- Email distribution or membership list (Outlook)
- OneDrive file storage (OneDrive)
- Notebook (OneNote)
- Site (SharePoint)
- Group email address
- Group calendar
- Plans (Planner)
- 1 on 1 text chat and video chat
- Team chat and web video conferencing
- Screen Sharing
- Embed content from other W-Exchange applications.
Creating a Team
Microsoft Offers four different types of Teams for different collaboration scenarios. When creating a Team, plan to add more than one owner so that administration privileges can be shared.
- Anyone – Team members share the same equal read and write permissions unless edited by the team owner. Does not include OneNote templates.
- Professional Learning communities – Educators share equal read-write permissions.
- Staff Members – Team owners control posting settings. Staff members only have write permission in certain areas.
- Classes – Teachers moderate student conversations and decide who has permission to post in which areas. Adds the ability to turn in assignments but does not offer the ability to schedule meetings.
Please visit Microsoft's choose a team type site for more information about the available team types.
How to use Teams
Get started with the Interactive Demo. This guided tour of Teams to will explain how to use the app and teach you about key features.
- Use Planner in Microsoft Teams
- Use OneNote Staff Notebook in Teams
- Use Microsoft Teams in the classroom
Download and install Microsoft Teams on all your devices:
Microsoft provides the following learning resources for using the accessibility features of Teams.
The desktop or mobile app version of Microsoft Teams is recommended over the web version. The web version may be difficult to navigate with a screen reader.
- Owners per Team: 100
- Teams a user can create: 250
- Number of members: 999
- Chat participants: 20
- Meeting participants: 80
Can I create a Team without a Group?
You can add a Team to an existing Group. Creating a new Team will also create a group.
What happens when a Team is deleted?
Any content associated with that Team is also deleted. If a deleted team containts a Plan, these items will also be deleted.
What is the difference between public and private?
All Teams content is only visible to members of the team. Private teams require an invitation to join while public teams are open for anyone to join.
Can I restrict who has access to email a team?
No, anyone at WMU is able to email a team. If you need to control access, please use a mailing list.
Can I delete messages in Teams channels?
You can only delete individual messages you have posted. Deleting a channel in Teams will delete all messages in that channel.
Can I delete messages in Teams chats?
You can only delete individual messages you have sent. Chat threads can not be deleted.
What happens when a Team owner's account is removed?
If a Team has no owner, members are unable to self-promote a new owner. Please open a work order in IT Direct to have a new owner appointed.
How do I place an audio or video call?
Many of the calling features in Teams require the Teams desktop app.
Can someone outside of WMU join my Team?
No, that feature is currently disabled.
How long can I use a Team that I create?
A Team will be eligible for deletion after one year of inactivity. The Team owner will be contacted before a Team is deleted.