Nomination and Selection Process for The Sean O'Loughin All-Star Middle School Honor Band
- All nominations must be made by the students' middle school band director. Nominations by students or other parties will not be accepted.
- All nominations must be made via the nomination form.
- The nomination form will be available on the website from August 20 through 11:59pm on September 17.
- Guidelines for selection of Honor Band members:
The final personnel list for the Honor Band, as decided by the committee, will be e-mailed to the participant schools along with final instructions for participation by October 1 and posted on the WMU University Bands website by October 3. Music will be sent to the participant schools by October 8.
Each student selected for the Honor Band, or the middle school that nominated them, must be able and willing to pay a $10 participation fee.
If a student who has been nominated and granted a place in the Honor Band cannot participate in the Honor Band, the teacher must notify Dr. John Lychner at
who, with input from the committee, will determine if a student will be chosen from another school or if the school will be allowed choose an alternate.
- Each director may nominate up to 10 students from their middle school band(s)
- The nominees are to be listed according to level of skill NOT by instrumentation. The most skilled or most advanced students listed first.
- The Kappa Kappa Psi band fraternity, a neutral party, will begin filling in the personnel list for the Honor Band by taking the first students listed by each director and then the second, etc. until there is a balanced ensemble. The focus at this step will be on instrumentation.
- The draft personnel list compiled by Kappa Kappa Psi will be reviewed by the MS Fall Conference committee and adjusted as appropriate.
- Part assignments will be made by members of the committee.
- Every school that nominates students will be guaranteed that a minimum of two (2) of their students will be included in the Honor Band, but the two students will not necessarily be the first two that they nominated. The instrumentation needs of the ensemble will take precedence.