To provide academic assistance to students enrolled in selected courses by offering regularly scheduled out-of-class study sessions throughout the term; to assist in the collection and reporting of various data regarding selected courses.
- Conduct at least 2-3 two-hour study sessions per week throughout the term using strategies learned through the initial training meetings.
- Regularly meet with Coordinator.
- Discuss observations of the tutor sessions.
- Discuss the creation and use of CT handouts.
- Discuss the planning of CT sessions and use a wide variety of the identified learning strategies.
- Assist Coordinator in training of other leaders.
- Ascertain course requirements and maintain contact throughout the term with course professor or designated representative.
- Provide extra tutor sessions and/or marathon sessions as necessary (e.g., prior to major examinations).
- Provide handouts for use during tutor sessions, if necessary.
- Meet with other campus content tutors, SI leaders and supervisory staff at scheduled meetings.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director.
- Complete necessary personal paperwork.
- Attend initial training prior to the beginning of each term.
- Work with the Coordinator to select appropriate times and scheduling of tutor sessions.
- Make periodic announcements about the availability of the tutor sessions to the students.
- Ensure that midterm Feedback Survey and End-of-Course surveys are distributed and assist in data analysis.
- Collect attendance data for every tutor session, including student names, WIN numbers, course title, date, and time of session.
- Maintain a professional attitude about matters such as class standards, grades, and student complaints.
- Model appropriate professional attitudes and behaviors to staff, students and to others on and off campus.
- Provide your Coordinator with an up-to-date schedule of your tutor sessions.
- Notify your Coordinator in advance if you cannot conduct a session as scheduled.
- Maintain regular working hours.
Content Tutor Qualifications
- Junior or senior standing.
- Students with high academic achievement in the selected courses is preferred.
- Content competency is required.
- Good interpersonal and communications skills (to be determined by the Coordinator) are required.
General Information Break Down
- Time commitment: 6 – 7 hours per week
- Two to three two-hour sessions per week
- Preparation time for each session
- Training meetings (biweekly SI/CT training meetings)
- Possible exam review sessions or special projects
- Pay rate: Variable