To provide academic assistance to students enrolled in selected courses by offering regularly scheduled out-of-class study sessions throughout the term; to assist in the collection and reporting of various data regarding selected courses.
- Attend all class meetings of the selected course, take notes, do homework and read all assigned class materials including text(s) and supplemental readings.
- Conduct as least three 50-minute study sessions per week throughout the term using strategies learned through the SI leader training.
- Regularly meet with the supplemental instruction coordinator.
- Discuss observations of the SI sessions.
- Discuss the creation and use of SI handouts.
- Discuss the planning of SI sessions and use a wide variety of the identified learning strategies.
- Assist SI coordinator in training of other SI leaders.
- Provide extra SI sessions or marathon sessions as necessary (e.g. prior to major examinations).
- Provide handouts for use during SI sessions.
- Ascertain course requirements and maintain contact throughout the term with course professor or designated representative.
- Meet with other campus SI leaders and supervisory staff at scheduled meetings.
- Other duties as assigned by the director.
- Complete necessary personal paperwork.
- Attend SI leader training prior to the beginning of each term.
- Work with the SI supervisor to select appropriate times and scheduling of SI sessions.
- Make periodic announcements about the availability of the SI sessions to the students.
- Ensure that midterm SI Feedback Survey and End-of-Course surveys are distributed and assist in data analysis.
- Collect attendance data for every SI session, including student names, WIN numbers, course title, date and time of session.
- Assist SI coordinator in the preparation of end-of-term reports and other reports as requested.
- Maintain a professional attitude about matters such as class standards, grades and student complaints.
- Model appropriate professional attitudes and behaviors to staff, students and to others on and off campus.
- Provide your SI coordinator with an up-to-date schedule of your SI sessions.
- Notify your SI coordinator in advance if you cannot conduct a session as scheduled.
- Maintain regular working hours.
Supplemental instruction leader qualifications
- Junior or senior standing is preferred; second term sophomore is the usual minimum.
- Students with high academic achievement in the selected course is preferred; prior enrollment with the professor who is to teach the selected course is preferred.
- Content competency (to be determined by the selected course professor) is required.
- Good interpersonal and communications skills (to be determined by the SI coordinator) are required.
General information breakdown
- Time commitment: 10 to 12 hours per week
- Class lectures
- Three 50-minute sessions
- Preparation time for each session
- Training meetings (biweekly SI/content tutor training meetings)
- Possible exam review sessions or special projects
- Pay rate: Variable