It is important to have the proper documentation ready for your trip abroad. It is recommended that the traveler makes two copies of all of the documentation. One set with accompany the traveler on the trip and another set should be left with someone in the states. This includes such things as:

  • Passport—Obtaining a passport is necessary when traveling on international flights.
    • Passport Card—U.S. Passport Card cannot be used for international air travel. This new travel document can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry.

      Reference—U.S. Department of State Web site.
      • How to apply for the first time?
      • How to get your passport in a hurry?
      • Where do I apply?
      • What is the application processing times?
      • Already applied for a passport? Check status online.
      • Fees
      • Renewing your passport
      • Lost or stolen passports

  • Visa—If you are traveling abroad you may need a Visa to enter the country of destination.
  • Airline tickets
  • Credit card numbers
  • Insurance cards
  • Medication
  • Corrective lens prescriptions
  • Driver's Licenses

Please visit the U.S. Department of State's Web site for the various documentation that meet you circumstances.


WMU Travel
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5203 USA
(269) 387-2154 | (269) 387-4299 Fax