The 2,000 square-foot scene shop builds all main-stage production scenery and is located adjacent to all 3 theatres for safe and convenient construction and load-in. It is equipped to construct sets out of such diverse materials as steel, wood, and styrofoam. The shop is fully equipped with pneumatic construction tools, welding equipment, and Saw Stop table saws, the latest in table saw safety. It is also set up to lathe. The shop is staffed by a technical director, a scene shop foreman, student assistants, and work-study students. Practicum credit is given for production work in the scene shop and is a requirement of all theatre majors.
The scene shop uses the following equipment:
- a full complement of wood-working tools including bench mounted power tools, and various pneumatic, electric, and battery operated hand tools
- metal-working tools including cutting, grinding and welding equipment
- compressed air system and dust collection system
- two personnel lifts
- painting equipment and accessories
- assorted small equipment and hand tools