To obtain an Occupational Education Certificate, a person shall apply to the superintendent of public instruction and shall verify completion of the requirements below, after the date of issuance of the Interim Occupational Certificate (IOC) or IOC renewal. The Full Occupational Education Certificate is valid for five years, and requires one to meet the credit guidelines again (after the issuance of the first Occupational Education Certificate) to qualify to renew the full Occupational Certificate every five years.
Please direct questions related to the Occupational Education Certificate (OEC) to the Office of Professional Preparation Services at the Michigan Department of Education at (517) 373-3310. To apply for a OEC visit Michigan Online Educator Certification System.
An interim occupational to full occupational certificate requires one of the following (credit guidelines):
- Six credit hours at an approved teacher preparation institution.
- 150 State Continuing Education Clock Hours (SCECHs) in approved professional development appropriate to the grade level and content endorsement (s) of the certificate.
- NOTE: If you will be using SCECHs to renew your certificate or license in the Michigan Online Educator Certification System, you will need to locate your personal identification code number, and place it into your record on the Secure Central Registry. This will allow your SCECH credits to appear in MOECS. Also, please click here, to see the new process for using SCHECHs. Please know that SCECHs were formally known as SB-CEU's. Questions regarding SCECHs should be directed to Claudia Nicol, at the Michigan Department of Education. You can contact Claudia at email@example.com, or at 517-241-4928.
- 150 Annual District Provided Professional Development (DPPD) completed through professional development programs that are appropriate to the grade level and content endorsement (s) of the certificate.
- NOTE: If you will be using DPPD, please review the following Michigan Department of education documents: District Provided Professional Development Questions and Answers and Logging Your District Provided Professional Development in the Michigan Online Educator Certification System. Questions regarding DPPD's should be directed to Donna Hamilton, at the Michigan Department of Education. You can contact Donna at HamiltonD3@michigan.gov, or at 517-241-4546.
- A combination of the above. Click here to see the Conversion Chart
- Master’s degree earned at any time.
NOTE: the master's degree waiver was approved by Superintendent of Schools in 2013 and could expire in June of 2017.
- A Full Occupational Certificate requires three years of teaching experience, after the issuance of your Interim Occupational Certificate, and within the validity of that certificate.
- Satisfactory completion of three semester credit hours, in an approved course of study in the diagnosis and remediation of reading disabilities and differentiated instruction, which includes a field experience. Here at Western Michigan University the course LS 5160 Professional Symposium in Reading will satisfy this requirement. (Additional requirement added by MDE Sept. 1, 2013.)