WMU Student Services

WMU Student Services

Where Can Students Get Counseling and Help With Mental Health and Substance Abuse Issues?

Counseling Services
(269) 387-1850, 1st Floor Sindecuse
Emergency and urgent assessments, free counseling for WMU students, consultation
Sindecuse Health Center
(269) 387-3287
Emergency and urgent assessments, psychiatric services, medication evaluations
Medical Social Work
Fran Morrow, Medical Social Worker
(269) 387-3290, Sindecuse Health Center
Crisis intervention services, short- term counseling, resource coordination, and assistance with financial/insurance issues. Services are available to students, staff, faculty and retirees at WMU.
Associate Dean of Students
Suzie Nagel, Associate Dean of Students
Pat Hale, Administrative Assistant
(269) 387-2150, 1st Floor Faunce

  • Assist students who have a prolonged absence for physical or psychological concerns
  • Assist students if they experience the death of an immediate family member
  • Coordinate notification to appropriate University officials regarding the death of a student. Serve as a liaison between WMU and the student's family.
  • Serve as a resource for students, faculty, staff, and parents regarding serious student behavior.

Centers for Counseling and Psychological Services
(269) 387-5105, 3109 Sangren
(616) 771-4171, 200 Ionia Street, SW., Grand Rapids
Counseling and psychological services are provided at low cost to children, adolescents, and adults residing in southwestern Michigan.
WMU Department of Public Safety
(269) 387-5555
University Substance Abuse Clinic
(269) 387-7000, Unified Clinics, 1000 Oakland Dr., Kalamazoo
Substance abuse services are provided by licensed counselors under the supervision of faculty members from the Western Michigan University Specialty Program in Alcohol and Drug Abuse.

What Resources Are Available To Students With Disabilities?

WMU Disability Services for Students
(269) 387-2116, Woodlawn Place Building (same building as Children’s Place Learning Center)
Beth denHartigh, Director, (269) 387-2120
Dorothy Fancher, Assistant Director, (269) 387-4128
Jen Lawson-Steeves, Office Associate and Test Coordinator, (269) 387- 2116
Services include:

  • Class scheduling assistance and priority registration
  • Handi-Van Transportation
  • Referral and advocacy activities with University departments
  • Campus accessibility information
  • Adaptive computer equipment
  • Acting as a liaison for special classroom concerns

Where Can Students Get Help With Financial Aid?

Bronco Express Service Center
(269) 387-6000, 1st Floor Bernhard Center
Students can:

  • apply for financial aid or pick up the appropriate forms
  • check on the status of a financial aid application
  • confirm dates of financial aid disbursements
  • make appointments to see a financial aid counselor
  • receive unofficial transcripts and ask basic registration questions
  • check account balances and get clarification on charges, make payments, and pick up checks for account refunds

WMU’s portal, GoWMU, provides access to financial aid and account information
Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships
The office must be accessed through Bronco Express, but the website has lots of useful information

What Are Some Other Useful Offices?

Office for Transfer Student Services
Steve Miller
(269) 387-0740, 2nd Floor, Bernhard Center

  • Acts and an advocate for transfer students to resolve transfer issues once usual procedures have been exhausted. 
  • Acts as an advocate for deployed military to facilitate efficient departures and returns. Assists in troubleshooting and timely review of special needs. 

Division of Multicultural Affairs      
(269) 387-3317, 2nd Floor, Ellsworth Hall
The Division of Multicultural Affairs (DMA) serves as an information resource on the role and value of diversity in education for WMU, and for the greater Kalamazoo communities.

  • Martin Luther King, Jr. (MLK) Academy
    Sherrie Fuller, Assistant Director
    (269) 387-4785, 2nd Floor Ellsworth Hall
    The Martin Luther King, Jr. Academy provides a broad range of cultural and academic learning experiences that are designed to bring together individuals as well as groups of students from diverse racial, ethnic, cultural, social class, and religious backgrounds.

Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay and Transgender (LBGT) Student Services
Jen Hsu, Coordinator
(269) 387-2123, 2315 Faunce
LBGT Student Services offers education about gender identity and sexual orientation to the WMU community and collaborates with registered student organizations and members of WMU and local community agencies to provide students with access to healthy resources, activities, and support services.

Ombudsman Office
Kathy Mitchell, Ombudsman
Eric McConnell, Assistant to the Ombudsman
(269) 387-0718, 2420 Faunce Student Services
A university ombudsman's role is to provide confidential advice and nonpartisan assistance in solving problems and resolving disputes. An ombudsman is independent of the university's formal administrative structure and cannot impose solutions, but can identify options and strategies for resolution. The four guiding principles of an ombudsman are confidentiality, independence, neutrality and informality.

Registrar’s Office
(269) 387-4300, 3rd Floor, Seibert Administration Building
Lots of important information which is vital to your career as a student as WMU.
Student Housing

  • Residence Life
    (269) 387-4735, 3rd Floor, Faunce
    Resources for students living on campus

Study Abroad
387-5890, 2nd Floor Ellsworth

Other Important Phone Numbers at WMU:
WMU Main Switchboard: (269) 387-1000
Admissions: (269) 387-2000
Dean of Students: (269) 387-2150
Financial Aid: (269) 387-6000
Parking Services: (269) 387-4609



TRIO Student Success Program
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5303 USA
269.387.4440 | 269.387.4418 Fax