Graduate Programs

Individuals interested in professional employment as a speech-language pathologist or audiologist must earn a graduate degree in speech-language pathology (M.A. or M.S.) or audiology (Au.D.).

In addition to its undergraduate program in speech pathology and audiology, Western Michigan University's Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology offers two graduate degree programs: A Master of Arts degree with an emphasis in speech-language pathology, and a Doctor of Audiology degree or Au.D. Both programs are fully accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association and are designed to provide academic and practicum experiences basic to the development of clinical competence in the evaluation, diagnosis, and alleviation of language, speech, and hearing disorders.

Those who wish to study speech-language pathology must apply for admission to the master's degree program and those who wish to study audiology must apply for admission to the Au.D. program. In either case, students are expected to complete the academic and practicum requirements for the ASHA's Certificate of Clinical Competence and/or state licensure.

Master of Arts Degree (emphasis in speech-language pathology)

Doctor of Audiology Degree (Au.D.)