Departmental Travel Study Abroad Award
Intended for Spanish majors or minors at Western Michigan University,
the purpose of these awards is to encourage students to
further develop their Spanish language skills and to
broaden their understanding of other cultures and
peoples. These awards may be used for travel/study
abroad during any part of the academic year or summer.
- Declared major or minor in the Department of Spanish.
- Applicant must have completed a minimum of two courses in the Spanish major/minor by the end of the semester of application. At least one course must be 3000-level or higher.
- A minimum overall GPA of 3.25, plus a GPA of 3.5 in the Spanish major or minor.
- No student may receive a Travel/Study Abroad Award more than once. Recipients of this award are not eligible for the President’s Award or Scholarship, nor are the recipients of the President’s Award/Scholarships eligible for a Travel/Study Abroad Award.
- Preference will be given to those who enroll in WMU sponsored programs (Querétaro, Burgos and Santander).
Applications consist of:
- The Fall Semester Scholarship and Award in Spanish application form available from 410 Sprau
Tower during the application period
- A copy of the Spanish major
or minor slip
and transcript (unofficial is fine) of all college-level Spanish courses
- Submission of a 300-word, typed essay detailing the applicant’s reasons for wishing to study/travel abroad and the specific benefits he or she hopes to derive from the experience.
Submit these application materials to 410 Sprau
Tower by the deadline.
Award recipients will be determined by the Travel/Study Abroad Committee of the Department of Spanish as soon as possible after the application deadline.