Permission to Take Graduate Classes with Non-Degree Status

It is possible for individuals to receive graduate credit with non-degree status. The non-degree status application can be found on our website or requested by calling (269) 387-3201. This approach is recommended for individuals who have an undergraduate record that is not competitive, missed the priority deadline, want to explore graduate social work education before submitting an application or want to begin graduate work to lighten the course load if accepted in the future. Successful performance in one or more non-degree seeking classes does not guarantee admission to the graduate program.

It is possible for a student to apply up to 12 credit hours of non-degree status coursework to the Master of Social Work degree program if the student is accepted. Before registering for graduate coursework, the student must:

  1. Submit a "graduate non-degree status application" to Western Michigan University's Office of Admissions, along with a $40 nonrefundable fee. If the student intends to apply to the social work graduate program in the next consideration period, the Office of Admissions will accept the "application for graduate admission" at the same time.
  2. Obtain a Bronco NetID and password. Non-degree status students will receive a letter from the admissions office with their Bronco NetID and temporary password. A temporary password must be changed before using the Bronco NetID to access WMU registration services.
  3. Register for classes through the admissions office at (269) 387-3201.

Approved courses for non-degree status