NSF Ethics Training
In response to §7009 of the America COMPETES Act, the National Science Foundation requires training and oversight in the responsible and ethical conduct of research. Specifically, for proposals submitted on or after February 4, 2010, the NSF requires the following:
- An institution must have a plan in place to provide appropriate training and oversight in the responsible and ethical conduct of research to undergraduates, graduate students, and postdoctoral researchers who will be supported by NSF to conduct research.
- Institutional certification to this effect is required for each proposal.
- Training plans are NOT required to be included in proposals submitted to NSF, but institutions are subject to review, upon request.
- An institution must designate one or more persons to oversee compliance with the RCR training requirement.
- Institutions are responsible for verifying that undergraduate students, graduate students, and postdoctoral researchers supported by NSF to conduct research have received training in the responsible and ethical conduct of research.
WMU policies and procedures to meet the NSF requirements:
For more information, email the research compliance officer or by phone at (269) 387-8293