Veterans Affairs information and standards of progress

Veterans, military service personnel, and their qualified dependents intending to use VA benefits should contact the Office of the University Registrar and be aware of the following policies:

  • It is the student's responsibility to notify the Office of the University Registrar immediately when increasing or decreasing unit load, withdrawing, or taking a leave of absence. Students also have the responsibility to inform the Office the University Registrar every term as to the number of units in which they are enrolled.

  • The VA considers its payments a reimbursement, not a subsidy.

  • Students are expected to pay their own tuition and be reimbursed by the VA. It usually takes six to eight weeks from the time a student's papers are processed by the Office the University Registrar until a check is received. Students who file their papers with the Office the University Registrar eight weeks before the beginning of the term will be certified on an "intent to register" basis and can generally expect to have their checks by the second week of the term after their enrollment has been verified.

  • Appropriate credit for previous education will be granted.

  • All students using VA benefits must make satisfactory progress toward their educational objectives. In general, unsatisfactory progress for veteran's benefits is considered attainment of less than a 2.0 grade point average for two consecutive terms (3.0 for graduate students). Students who withdraw from the University may have their benefits terminated as of the beginning of the term of withdrawal. If a student is dismissed for academic reasons, benefits will be terminated as of the date of dismissal. Students who have had their benefits terminated in this manner must be counseled by the Veterans Administration before their benefits will be restored. Students who fail to complete all courses attempted in a term will have their benefits adjusted.

  • Students who withdraw from a course (or courses) in the middle of the term will have their benefits adjusted except in extenuating circumstances. In cases in which students do not return for the next term, benefits will be terminated on the ending date of the previous term.

Visit related WMU sites

There is a lot more to see! Visit some of our friends at WMU to learn about academics, costs of attendance, and campus life.

Office of the Registrar
1903 W Michigan Ave
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5256 USA
269 387-4300 | 269 387-3545