Photo by Eric McConnell

We are here for you...

Scholarship Opportunity, application and information; need to reapply thru Admissions. Questions? Contact the Registrar's Office at 269-387-4115.


WMU's Advocacy Office for Transfer Students and Military Affairs is committed to making transfer to WMU smooth and seamless.

For handling of students' VA records, inquiries, and other VA related problems, contact: VA Coordinator, Brenda Hamlyn or telephone at (269) 387-4115.

A Veteran's Certification Information form must be completed each year.

Veterans Affairs services for students

Active duty policy and procedures

Students who are called to active duty will need to pay immediate attention to a number of academic, financial, and record concerns prior to their departure from campus.

Required forms

VA forms are required for new and returning students. Go to and click on Education Forms or Electronic Application Form to access the appropriate form(s). The student must fill out the form(s) completely and send, together with applicable documentation, to the Office of the University Registrar, Western Michigan University, 1903 W. Michigan Avenue, Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5256.

Veterans’ Assistance

The Office of the Registrar, on the third floor of the Administration Building certifies students under the G.I. Bill and its extensions. The Veterans' Certification Officer will assist any person who seeks certification, or application, to the Veterans Administration under applicable programs.

Students who wish to receive V.A. benefits must annually file a "V.A. Certification Information Card'' outlining plans for enrollment for the coming year. Students are certified on the basis of attendance and academic progress toward a declared degree. Address changes are also to be reported to the Veterans' Certification Officer as soon as possible.

In addition to normal scholarship standards, students receiving benefits from the Veterans Administration are advised of their additional rights and responsibilities.

In-State Tuition for Active Duty Military Personnel and their Dependents

Western Michigan University will grant in-state tuition to all veterans and their dependents.

The Veterans’ Certification Officer may be reached in the Office of the Registrar at (269) 387-4115.

Certification procedures

Procedures for new and transferring students, along with what you need to know to make the certification procedure successful.

Enrollment status certification

The Office of the University Registrar processes enrollment status certification of VA students right after the last day of the add-drop period in each term and subsequent updates or changes in status are done on a weekly basis. For further information and assistance, the Department of Veterans Affairs is available 24 hours a day/7 days a week. Call their toll-free number at 1(888)-GI BILL 1 (1-888-442-4551) or visit them on the WEB at

Information and standards of progress

Veterans, military service personnel, and their qualified dependents intending to use VA benefits should contact the Office of the University Registrar and be aware of the policies listed in Information and standards of progress link. More information available at or the facilities locator and directory.

Visit related WMU sites

There is a lot more to see! Visit some of our friends at WMU to learn about academics, costs of attendance, and campus life.

Office of the Registrar
1903 W Michigan Ave
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5256 USA
269 387-4300 | 269 387-3545