Active Duty

Students called to Active Duty will need to pay immediate attention to a number of academic, financial, and record concerns prior to their departure from campus. The federal government and the University have modified numerous regulations and policies to assist these students.

Class status

You should request to drop all classes with the VA certifying official for 100% tuition refund OR depending on the time of the semester, meet with your professors to discuss mutually agreeable arrangements for the completion of missed assignments or the possibility of receiving an “I” (incomplete) in the courses. When an incomplete is granted in this situation, the student will have two years to make up the work and remove the incomplete grade.

Housing contracts

There will be no penalty imposed for terminating the housing contract prior to the end of the term. The refund will be calculated based on the time remaining in the semester or session.

Parking fees

A 100% refund to the parking fee is available. The student will need to provide as much of the sticker as possible. If a sticker is not submitted, a refund will not be given.


The Bookstore will provide 100% refund on returned books.

Student loans

Contact Financial Aid. Administrative forbearance and deferment benefits are available for active duty call-up, per the federal government regulations.


  • A single point of contact has been established at the Registrar’s Office to assist with deployment.
  • A copy of the Activation Papers are required from the student.
  • Student needs to contact the Registrar’s Office and bring in their paperwork.
  • The Registrar’s Office is responsible for providing the student with pertinent information about potential refunds, academic affects, and overall impact.
  • The Registrar’s Office is responsible for ensuring enrollment is adjusted, VA Certification is terminated, and for maintaining a list and count of all activated students. The Registrar’s Office maintains a list of students who request incomplete grades. The Registrar’s Office action will automatically trigger an action on the student account.

    1. If there is no financial aid, accounts receivable will process a refund for any remaining credit balance. For Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits paid, that credit balance will be held pending VA determination of overpayment.
    2. If there is financial aid, the Financial Aid office will review your status and may adjust your Financial Aid accordingly. If a credit balance remains, accounts receivable will process a refund. For Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits paid, that credit balance will be held pending VA determination of overpayment.

Upon returning

The student will need to fill out a WMU re-admit form, available online at To expedite the process, please state on the form that you are a returning veteran.

The student will need to come to the Registrar’s Office to fill out paperwork with the Veterans certifying official representative. If the student has a DD-214, they should bring it in with them.

For further information, please contact the VA certifying official at (269) 387-4300.