September 8, 2009
Welcome to the start of the fall 2009 semester at WMU! Last week brought over 2,800 new freshmen to campus for fall welcome week activities, including a matriculation ceremony on Wednesday morning. With the start of this new tradition, new freshmen and transfer students were formally welcomed into the community that is WMU.
1. An attendance initiative –
Instructors use link in GoWMU to report students not attending
- An email is sent to the student
- An email is sent to the Registrar’s office, staff will follow-up with student
- If student lives on campus, Residence Life receives an email and follows-up
- For undergraduates, the College Advising staff will also follow-up
Attendance is one of the biggest predictors of success in college courses. We need to do what we can to encourage students to attend class regularly, to ensure that they are aware of and have access to available resources and that they know we are paying attention.
2. Midterm grading -
- Opens on Tuesday, September 8 at 8:00 am
- Instructors are encouraged to submit a ‘first grade’ by October 5
- Instructors are encouraged to submit a ‘midterm grade’ by Nov. 1
- Closes at 8:00 am on Monday, November 2
3. H1N1 – also known as the swine flu
For current information, please visit the WMU website, http://www.wmich.edu. Use the link on the lower left-hand side to the Flu Info Center for more complete information including information specifically for WMU faculty and staff and students. Click on http://www.wmich.edu/flu/contact/index.php if you have a question on an issue you don’t see addressed here.
Semester start-up info
All instructors received an email last week with a link to semester start-up information. You can view this information on: http://www.wmich.edu/registrar/SemesterStart-up.html .
Census – end of the day, Tuesday, Sept. 15
- Ensure that all students in your department who may be taking independent study courses, seminars, internships, etc, as well as all graduate students, are registered in Banner by the end of the day Tuesday, Sept. 15. As always, our census headcount and SCH count are very important.
- Ensure that all sections have the correct instructor of record listed.
- Ensure that all sections on hold are either cancelled or made active.
E-mailing class lists
Instructors, as well as Chairs and Department Administrative Assistants, can email a class using the Enterprise Directory Distribution Lists. For information and directions, please see: http://www.wmich.edu/broncotech/index.php?title=E-mail_Your_Entire_Class_Using_Enterprise_Directory_Distribution_Lists .This is a way for Chairs or Department staff to notify a class of cancellation of a class meeting for example.
- The One-Stop Convenience center continues through Friday, Sept. 11 at noon in the Bernhard Center
- Keypad codes for classrooms in Dunbar, Kohrman, Moore, Sangren, Welborn and Wood have been changed, as they are each year at this time. Please contact the building coordinator for assistance.
- Deadline for application for Dec. 2009 graduation has been extended through Friday, Sept. 18.
- Monday, Sept. 7 - Labor Day, no classes
- Tuesday, Sept. 8 - Fall classes begin at 8:00 am
- Thursday, Sept. 10 – Academic Convocation, 3:30, Dalton Center
- Monday, Sept. 14 - Last day of drop/adds
- Tuesday, Sept. 15 – Last day depts have access to adjust student schedules
- Tuesday, Sept. 15 – Fall census taken at the end of the day
- Wednesday, Sept. 16 – $100 late add fee begins, withdrawals recorded as ‘W’ on transcript
- Thursday, Sept. 17 – Last day for 90% refund for complete withdrawal
- Monday, Sept. 21 – Last day for 50% refund for partial withdrawal
- Friday, Oct. 2 – Last day for 50% refund for complete withdrawal
- Wednesday, Oct. 28 – Last day for 25% refund for complete withdrawal
- Monday, Nov. 9 – Last day students can withdraw from fall classes