Registrar’s Notes – September 30, 2013
September 30, 2013
Spring 2014 Registration
Course offerings for Spring 2014 opens for viewing today. The schedule of course offerings can be accessed on the public website, https://www.wmich.edu/classlookup, and on the course offerings page within GoWMU. Registration opens on Monday, Oct. 14.
Top 10 ways Degree Works can help during registration:
- Degree Works shows students what classes they still need to complete to receive their WMU degree.
- Degree Works identifies requirements that have been completed or are in-process to help students avoid registering for classes they don’t need.
- Degree Works displays the total number of credit hours earned to help students determine their priority registration time.
- Students can see if they have any holds that would prevent them from registering.
- Students can click on a course from the worksheet to find out what sections of the course are being offered next semester.
- Students can see course descriptions and the days and times courses meets.
- Degree works will show students if there are any prerequisites required for a course.
- Degree Works displays real time enrollment information from Banner so students can see how many seats are available in a course.
- As soon as they register for Spring 2014 courses, students can go into Degree Works and see how the courses will be used to satisfy specific degree requirements.
- Students considering changing their major can use the “what if” feature to determine what classes will be needed in the new major.
Degree Works is available to undergraduate students with a 2010 or later catalog year. Additional information on Degree Works is available on the Registrar’s Office website, including comprehensive user manuals for students and advisors.
Progress to Degree
The former Progress to Degree tool has been retired and the link removed from GoWMU. Students should be directed to use Degree Works.
As a reminder, all Spring 2014 textbook information must be submitted in order to keep WMU in compliance with the Higher Education Opportunity Act. Detailed instructions on the textbook requisition process can be found at: http://www.wmich.edu/registrar/faculty-staff/wmu-textbook-requisition.pdf
Please contact Charles Hendrix, Course Materials Manager, with any questions. Charles can be reached at 269-387-3917.
New students who attended orientation this summer were asked to complete three online modules (Academic Success Choices, Financial Literacy 101 and AlcoholEdu). A registration hold will be placed soon on students who have not yet completed all three modules. If you see a “FY” hold type on a student’s record, please encourage the student to complete the on-line modules. First Year Experience will be reviewing reports daily and will remove the hold when modules are completed. Please refer any questions regarding this hold to the First Year Experience Office at 269-387-2167.
- Monday, October 14—Spring 2014 registration begins
- Wednesday, October 23—Last day to receive a 25% refund for a complete withdraw
- Sunday, October 27—Midterm grades due
- Monday, November 4—Last day to withdraw
- Wednesday, November 27—Thanksgiving recess starts at noon
- Monday, December 2—Classes resume
- Saturday, December 14--Commencement
- Tuesday, Dec. 17—Final grades due at noon