Registrar’s Notes – August 12, 2013
August 12, 2013
The Fall 2013 One Stop Center will begin in a few weeks in the West Ballroom of the Bernhard Center. The dates and times are as follows:
Monday, Aug 26: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Tuesday, Aug 27: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Wednesday, Aug 28: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Thursday, Aug 29: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Friday, Aug 30: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Tuesday, Sept 3: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Wednesday, Sept 4: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Thursday, Sept 5: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m
Friday, Sept 6: 9 a.m. to noon
Additional information on One Stop, as well as a list of offices represented, can be at: http://www.wmich.edu/registrar/onestop/.
CAS Advising Grand Opening
The College of Arts and Sciences is hosting an open house to celebrate the grand opening of their newly renovated Office of Undergraduate Advising. Please join them on Monday, August 19 from 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. in 2318 Friedmann Hall.
FERPA and a Student’s Right to Control Disclosure
FERPA grants students the right to restrict the release of directory information. At WMU students have two options for privacy. They can elect to restrict their address and phone number from being released for publication, or choose to not have any directory information given out. Students wishing to invoke their right to privacy need to complete a request form available on the Registrar’s Office website under the “Student Privacy” link.
Students considering restricting the release of directory information should be advised of some possible unintended consequences. For instance, a FERPA restriction makes it difficult for potential employers to verify enrollment or degree information. A student would also be excluded from appearing in the commencement program or on the Dean’s list. Students can submit a “Revoke Privacy Form” at any time if they wish to remove their name from the privacy list.
Students who have invoked privacy will be noted in Banner with a confidentiality flag. When accessing the student’s record in Banner a warning message will pop up and all Banner forms will display a “confidential” message in the upper left hand corner. Please note, even if a student has confidentiality, information can still be made available to faculty and staff for the purpose of performing an appropriate educational or administrative function.
- Friday, August 16—Summer II session ends
- Tuesday, August 20—Final grades due at noon
- Monday, August 26 to Friday, September 6—One Stop
- Tuesday August 27 to Friday, August 30—Fall Welcome
- Monday, September 2—Labor Day recess
- Tuesday, September 3—Fall classes begin
- Monday, September 9—Last day to drop/add
- Tuesday, September 10—Census
- Wednesday, September 11--$100 late fee begins
- Thursday, September 12—Last day to receive a 90% refund for complete withdraw
- Monday, September 16—Last day to receive a 50% refund for a partial withdraw
- Friday, September 27—Last day to receive a 50% refund for a complete withdraw
- Sunday, September 29—First work grade due
- Wednesday, October 23—Last day to receive a 25% refund for a complete withdraw
- Sunday, October 27—Midterm grades due
- Monday, November 4—Last day to withdraw
- Wednesday, November 27—Thanksgiving recess starts at noon
- Monday, December 2—Classes resume
- Tuesday, Dec. 17—Final grades due at noon