Registrar’s Notes – January 7, 2013
January 7, 2013
One-stop will be open this week in the Bernhard Center, Monday through Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. The full schedule and more information can be found at: http://www.wmich.edu/registrar/onestop.
Spring 2013 census will be occurring next Monday. In preparation, please make sure:
- the correct instructor of record has been entered in Banner for all sections
- sections on hold have been cancelled or made active
- all students attending have been registered so they will be counted in our spring census numbers. This includes students completing thesis and dissertation hours, independent studies, internships, seminars, etc.
Waitlist notification will be turned off Friday afternoon for the spring semester. Any student still remaining on a waitlist will be removed the morning of January 14. Departments will then be able to register students into waitlisted sections on census day as they see appropriate. If you would like to print a list of students waitlisted in a section prior to next Monday, you can do so in Banner on the SFAWLPR form.
Flu season is here and the Centers for Disease Control is reporting high levels of influenza like illness. The CDC recommends that people diagnosed with influenza and a fever (100 degrees or more) stay at home until they are free of fever for at least 24 hours. The University will continue to follow the policy established in 2009 regarding medical excuses provided by Sindecuse clinicians. The policy is as follows:
- In accordance with CDC recommendations, Sindecuse clinicians will not provide a medical excuse for typical flu cases. Students will continue to receive a receipt at patient check out for any acute illness or injury.
- Clinicians will provide written notification for prolonged illness (including atypical flu cases) when appropriate.
- Clinicians will continue to provide written notes to document illness or absence for employment as requested by students.
- Students requesting written documentation of their diagnosis will receive a statement with their diagnosis and date of diagnosis.
Textbook Requisition Process
A few improvements have been made to the textbook requisition process to make it easier for faculty to submit their textbook information to the bookstore. The instructions on the Registrar’s Office website have been updated to reflect the recent changes and can be found on the faculty/staff tab under “textbook info”.
A new Cognos report is also available that lists all sections for which a textbook order has not been placed. To locate the report, go to:
60.00 Catalog and Course Offerings>
60.30.20 Sections Missing Texbook Orders
As a reminder, Summer I and Summer II textbook orders need to be submitted no later than January 21, 2013. This needs to be done in order to keep WMU compliant with the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) of 2008. Institutions of higher education are to provide required and recommended textbook information with their published course offerings
Students still have time to apply for April graduation. The deadline has been extended and applications will be accepted through Friday, January 18. Information on the application process can be found on-line at http://www.wmich.edu/registrar/graduation/index.html. Please note the deadline to apply for June and August graduation is February 1.
- Friday, January 4 to Wednesday, January 9—Spring 2013 One Stop
- Monday, January 7—Spring classes begin
- Friday, January 11—Last day to drop/add classes
- Monday, January 14--Census
- Tuesday, January 15--$100 late add fee begins
- Thursday, January 17—Last day for 90% tuition refund for a complete withdraw
- Friday, January 18-- Last day for 50% tuition refund for a partial withdraw
- Monday, February 4-- Last day for 50% tuition refund for a complete withdraw
- Monday, February 11 – First work grade due
- Friday, March 1-- Last day for 25% tuition refund for a complete withdraw
- Friday, March 1—Spirit day
- Monday, March 4—Spring break begins
- Sunday, March 10 – Midterm grading closes, end of day
- Monday, March 11—Classes resume
- Monday, March 18—Last day to withdraw from Spring courses
- April 22-26—Final Exam week
- Saturday, April 27—Commencement
- Tuesday, April 30--Spring grades due at noon