Registrar’s Notes – September 12, 2011
September 12, 2011
In preparation for census tomorrow night, please ensure:
- All sections have the correct instructor of record.
- All sections on hold have been cancelled or made active.
- Registration is complete for all students so that they will be counted in our fall enrollment numbers.
Security and your Bronco Net ID
As a reminder, please provide your security officer with your Bronco Net ID (not the password) when requesting access to any of the student information systems or when making an inquiry about your security access.
Students are able to add and drop classes until 11:59 p.m. tonight through GoWMU and departments have access to make registration changes through the end of the day tomorrow. Students wishing to add a course after Tuesday must submit a Permission to Late Add form to the Registrar’s Office. The form requires the signature of the student, instructor and department chair. The Permission to Late Add form is available on the Registrar’s Office website at:
Waitlisting has ended for Fall 2011. Any students on a waitlist for a Fall 2011 section will be dropped today. Departments may add students into waitlisted sections through tomorrow as they see appropriate.
FERPA and Parents
As we welcome new students to campus we often receive inquires from parents who are used to having access to their child’s educational information. According to FERPA when a student begins attending a postsecondary institution regardless of age, FERPA rights transfer to the student. While parents understandably have an interest in their student’s academic success and progress, we are only permitted to provide them with directory information unless a signed consent from their student is obtained. WMU has designated the following items as directory information:
- Telephone number
- WMU e-mail address
- Curriculum and major field of study
- Dates of attendance
- Enrollment status (full/part-time)
- Degrees/awards received
- Most recent previous educational agency or institution attended by the student
- Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
- Weight/height of members of athletic teams.
Students have the option of setting up Authorized User Access through GoWMU to grant third party individuals the ability to view certain academic, financial aid and account information. This does not allow faculty or staff to release information, but it does provide an avenue for students to give their parents access to select information on-line.
- Tuesday, September 13—Census
- Wednesday, September 14—$100 late add fee begins
- Thursday, September 15—Last day for a 90% refund for a complete withdrawal
- Friday, September 16 – Deadline to apply for December graduation
- Monday, September 19—Last day for a 50% refund for a partial withdrawal
- Friday, September 30—Last day for a 50% refund for a complete withdrawal
- Monday, October 3—First Work Grades Due
- Friday, October 28—Last day for a 25% refund for a complete withdrawal
- Sunday, October 30—Mid-term Grades Due
- Monday, November 7—Last Day to Withdraw
- Wednesday, November 23—Thanksgiving Recess begins at noon
- Thursday, December 1—Deadline to apply for April graduation
- Saturday, December 17—Commencement