End of the semester information for faculty
Information on final exams:
- The final exam schedule can be found online and is scheduled for the last week of classes.
- All final exams must be held as scheduled in the final exam schedule.
- All final exams are held in the normal classroom, unless other arrangements have been made with the Registrar’s Office.
- Use of classrooms for review sessions must be scheduled through the Registrar’s Office.
Information on grading:
- Grades are due by noon on the Tuesday immediately following the end of each semester or session.
- Grades not submitted on time can cause problems for students with graduation, financial aid, as well as academic standing.
- All grades must be submitted using GoWMU .
- A list of instructors who do not meet the grade deadline will be sent to the Provost on Wednesday.
What’s the difference in an ‘E’ and an ‘X’?
- Use a grade of ‘E’ as a failing grade, use a grade of ‘X’ when a student either never attended or ceased attending and is not eligible for an incomplete.
- Both the ‘E’ and the ‘X’ grades count as a 0.0 in a students gpa.
What is an incomplete and when is it given?
- Temporary grade, given for reasons beyond control of the student.
- Not to be given as a substitute for a failing grade.
- Must be removed by instructor who gave it.
- Students receiving an “I” must not re-register for the course.
- Use the Report of Incomplete Work form, on the faculty menu in GoWMU.
This form is completed online; a copy will go to the instructor, a copy to the Registrar’s Office and a copy to the student to document the work a student must complete in the course.
- To remove an incomplete, use the Change of Incomplete Grade Form, on the faculty menu in GoWMU.
Information on FERPA, posting grades, retention of student work:
- No posting of grades by any part of SSN or WIN
- If you must post grades, use a randomly generated number known only to you and to the student.
- Do not leave any graded student work in a public place for pickup
- WMU’s policy on retention is that student work which is not returned must be retained for at least one semester. See the catalog language:
“Students have the right to have all their examinations and other graded material made available to them with an explanation of the grading criteria. Faculty will retain all such materials not returned to the student for at least one full semester (or through spring plus summer sessions) after the course was given. Faculty are not required to return such material to the student, but must provide reasonable access.”
- Any student work to be discarded after the 1 semester time frame must be shredded.
If you are concerned about a student –
An online form has been developed for faculty, staff and students to share their concerns about a student whose behavior is troubling and persists despite efforts to intervene. Information recorded on the form, which is confidential, goes to the office of the associate dean of students, who reviews the concerns and determines the next steps to take. There is a link to the student concern form on the Faculty menu in GoWMU.
Call the Registrar’s Office, 260-387-4300, or email, firstname.lastname@example.org