Academic Affairs Manual
The current Western/WMU-AAUP Collective Bargaining Agreement outlines resignation information.
- Once the faculty member has decided to resign, he/she should write a letter to the Department Chair indicating the resignation date.
- The department chair verified payroll dates and responds to the faculty, copied to the dean.
- The dean writes a letter to the provost recommending accepting or denying, copied to the faculty member and chair.
- Provost responds to faculty member accepting or denying resignation, copied to the dean and chair.
- If accepted, provost submits the resignation to the Western Michigan University Board of Trustees.
- Provost communicates the decision to the Western Michigan University Board of Trustees.
- The department shall prepare a faculty transaction form indicating the effective date of resignation and route for signatures. The transaction form should be submitted at the beginning of the semester/session in which the resignation is effective.
Annual Leave Payoff for Fiscal Year Appointments
For persons on fiscal year appointments (faculty and non-faculty) whose appointments end, it is our expectation that all annual leave will be used prior to the date of termination. Payoff of annual leave, in lieu of annual leave usage, is not an employee option since the cost of such payoff would have to be borne by the cost center and such funds are rarely available. Any exception to this procedure will have to be approved in advance by the dean and the provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs