Office of the Provost

Office of the Provost

Academic Affairs Manual


The current Western Michigan University-AAUP Collective Bargaining Agreement outlines retirement information. However, the faculty member should consult with Retirement Services in Human Resources to ensure an understanding of retirement benefits.

  1. Once the faculty member has a retirement option chosen, he/she should write a letter to the department chair indicating the retirement date.
  2. The department chair verifies payroll dates and responds to the faculty accepting or denying, copied to the dean. If the department chair wishes to request emeritus status, please refer to Appointment of Emeriti
  3. The dean writes a letter to the provost recommending accepting or denying, copied to the faculty member and chair.
  4. The provost responds to the faculty member accepting or denying retirement, copied to the dean and chair.
  5. If accepted, the provost submits the retirement to the Western Michigan University Board of Trustees.
  6. The provost communicates the decision of the Western Michigan University Board of Trustees.
  7. The department shall prepare a faculty transaction form indicating the effective date of retirement and route for signatures. The transaction form should be submitted at the beginning of the semester/session in which the retirement is effective.

A faculty member may request a reduction in workload prior to retirement (see Article 35.4 of the 2005-08 Faculty Contract). The faculty member completes the Reduction-in-Workload form and forwards to the department chair. 

A senior administrative officer holding tenured faculty rank has the opportunity to return to faculty before retiring.

Annual Leave Payoff for Fiscal Year Appointments

For persons on fiscal year appointments (faculty and non-faculty) whose appointments end, it is our expectation that all annual leave will be used prior to the date of termination. Payoff of annual leave, in lieu of annual leave usage, is not an employee option since the cost of such payoff would have to be borne by the cost center and such funds are rarely available. Any exception to this procedure will have to be approved in advance by the dean and the provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs


Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5204 USA
(269) 387-2380 | (269) 387-2377 Fax