Office of the Provost

Office of the Provost

Academic Affairs Manual

Faculty leave of absence

Western Michigan University’s faculty have a variety of leaves of absence. Some leaves may require specific stipulations, and the Chair and Dean should consult with the Provost prior to making any commitment with the faculty member. Please refer to Article 27 in the current Western/WMU-AAUP Collective Bargaining Agreement  to ensure the correct guidelines are followed.

Examples of Leave:

  • Annual Leave
  • Family and Medical Leave (FMLA)
  • Leave of Absence without Pay
  • Court
  • Funeral
  • Military
  • Sick Leave
  • Necessity Leave
  • Political Office

A Faculty Request for Leave of Absence form must be completed for the following types of leave:

  1. Personal
  2. Professional
  3. Military
  4. Political Office

A Faculty Transaction form must be completed for any leave without pay which exceeds one pay period. For leaves without pay which occur within one pay period, make the appropriate notations in the Kronos payroll system.

Faculty members should consult with their Human Resources representative regarding family and medical leave of absence, military service and any leave without pay. Refer to the Human Resources Webpage for court required service forms.


Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5204 USA
(269) 387-2380 | (269) 387-2377 Fax