Sample reference check questions
- How long have you known the candidate and in what capacity?
- Please explain your understanding of the candidate's background in (position).
- Please discuss the work experience this person has in an applied setting.
- What research and/or grants are you aware of with which they have been most recently involved?
- What are your perceptions of this person as an instructor in the (area) classroom? Give examples of the course taught.
- How well does this person interact and relate to undergraduate and graduate students?
- Is there anything else you would want us to know about this candidate?
- Can you suggest other references we should call?
- Given the opportunity, would you hire this person again (if reference is prior employer)?
Download a template for the sample reference check questions in MS Word format.