Summary of hiring procedures
After position authorization form is received from the Office of University Budgets by the dean:
- The department completes authorization, justification, and job description documents, and submits them to the dean, who submits them to the provost. When approved, Human Resources assigns the posting number, and works with the Office of Institutional Equity (OIE) and the department to create posting (see Faculty Hiring Checklist). The OIE prepares utilization analysis and informs all involved.
- The department reviews legal obligations of search, plans recruitment activities, prepares advertising and forwards materials to the dean, who approves and forwards to the OIE. OIE approves and notifies the department.
- The department advertises the position and maintains recruitment and selection records. The department conducts the initial screening, changes applicant status and creates the pool/short list. When the applicant pool is identified, the department submits pool/short list to the dean, who approves and forwards to OIE. OIE approves the pool/short list and forwards to the provost. The provost approves the pool/short list.
The PeopleAdmin Electronic System (online recruiting system) will automatically notify unqualified candidates. If desired, the department may also notify unqualified individuals.
- The department, in cooperation with the dean, selects candidates to be interviewed, and conducts interviews. The department obtains signatures on the Faculty Credential Summary form from all interviewed candidates and conducts reference checks.No interview can commence until the Faculty Credential Summary is signed by the candidate. A maximum of three candidates may initially be brought to campus for interviews. If additional candidates are needed, first secure approval from the dean. The dean meets with the candidates.
- The department prepares the Position Activity Record (PAR) on the online recruiting system, indicating final candidates in priority order, and forwards to the dean, who approves and forwards to OIE. When approved, OIE notifies the provost, the dean, the department, and Human Resources.
- The department prepares the letter of offer, using appropriate form letter.The department sends the letter of offer as an electronic document to the dean's office; it is then forwarded to the Office of the Provost. The provost (or provost's designee) must approve the letter before the offer can be extended. If no changes are made, the dean co-signs the letter to be sent. The department sends the letter to the candidate. Upon receiving the candidate’s acceptance, the department prepares the final hiring packet to hire the individual. The hiring packet is forwarded through the dean to the provost. The hiring packet consists of the Faculty Appointment form, signed faculty credential summary, signed letter of offer, P-008, vita and biosketch.
- The provost designee conducts appropriate criminal background check. Via e-mail, the provost designee notifies the dean’s office of the background check results. If the results are satisfactory, the provost or provost designee will sign the appointment form and forward to Human Resources and Board of Trustees.
- The candidate may not engage in any classroom instruction until the background check is completed with satisfactory results